I’m sitting on my front porch for the weekend at the Standard in Miami soaking up the last bits of Miami goodness before headed back up to the NYC winter. I’ve just experienced a joyous, open hearted, honest and direct weekend of learning and teaching and I have some secrets and stories I’d love to share with you.
A little backstory for you. Strala has a partnership with Sports Club LA. I travel around and teach the Strala Intensive Program to the Yoga Instructors, along with anyone else who is interested in signing up for the weekend intensive. Intense is the right word to describe the program. It’s 2 days of 6 hours of practice, leading, supporting, adjusting, and more practice. I’ve created a structure for the program that provides the foundation for already Yoga Teachers to lead Strala. Dance and Pilates Teachers also do the program and are amazing at leading Strala. Anyone with a movement background usually gravitates toward the ease and freedom of Strala, and we have a wonderful time exploring and learning together.
The room was filled with a large amount of diversity, as Strala usually attracts, but this group was quite special. An Egyptian man, a visually impaired woman, several young girls from the midwest, a few from Texas, a woman from Venezuela, and a lot of local people and Instructors.
Change Your Fate
1. Be Prepared. Do your homework to be prepared. Write your lesson plan. Think about it. Reflect on it. Re-write it. Reflect. Present and Re-write each time you present based on what you learn from the experience. The point of homework is knowing your material so you can feel comfortable and easy to improvise as you go along and let the structure be comforting and free.
2. Don’t Try to Convert Everyone. Whether you are giving a lecture, leading a class, or talking to a friend about your point of view, make your goal to listen and connect and if the situation calls for it, present what you know and are passionate about. Respect and acknowledge other points of view if they come up and resist the desire to convert everyone. This technique softens people toward you and allows people to see your presentation from a place of receiving instead of defense.
3. Aim to Make Others Successful. Instead of proving your point on why you do what you do, aim to make others successful. Find ways to help others to learn and improve on their own path if you are qualified to do so.
4. Respect. Respect your work. Present your work with confidence and humility. Don’t put your work down or make yourself seem small out of insecurity. Respect others and their work and time. Respect others opinions, talents, and passions.
5. Be Thankful. Present from a place of thankfulness for everything. Observe each moment, see the moments for the beauty that exists in them. Allow yourself to enjoy the wonder of what you do. Be thankful for everything.
I had a change of state this weekend. I consciously decided I wanted this experience to be amazing for everyone. I know the steps I needed to take to do that. The hard part was consciously walking through the steps. Once I started walking through the doors and being easy so I could follow through with the steps, it became a joyous experience for everyone involved.
We laughed, we cried, we shared, we hugged, we led, and we went upside down. What more could you ask for in a weekend? Not much for me. I’d love to hear your thoughts on change of state and change of fate in the comments.
About Strala Yoga Training
Strala combines the movement and healing wisdom of tai chi with the form vocabularies of yoga, tai chi, qigong, and Traditional Chinese and Japanese Medicine, to help people release stress, move easily through challenge, and live radiantly inspiring lives.
It begins with a mindset, that says our best way to get where we’re going is to feel good along the way. It also works miracles for whole health, helping us to find ease in our bodies and minds, and create the right conditions both for healing and optimal performance.
In our Strala Yoga Training Courses, you learn to shape your destiny on every level that counts, from your psychology, chemistry and neurology, to your chromosomes and even gene expression. The unique set of skills you develop – for connecting with yourself and others, unblocking your energy, healing what needs healing and accomplishing challenge with ease – uncovers your ability to create the life you want, and be an inspiring leader to the people around you.
Get FREE Detox Yoga video right now to your inbox & keep up with new posts!